In a long tiring day of work, you feel exhausted and unmotivated in your workplace for obvious reasons as a human being. That’s why innovative activities, casual conversations should be there to ease employees and increase work productivity. And team building icebreaker questions are one of those super-effective tactics to break the silence. It includes fun and makes your employees’ minds active and refreshed instantly.
All you need is to be creative enough to find out first where and when these icebreaker questions are necessary and effective. Also, you need to recognize your icebreaker question types according to the demand of your work environment. Amazed? Let’s get to know elaborately about team building icebreaker questions, why it’s important to use, and more in detail below. Take a look!
Some Benefits Of Team Building Icebreaker Questions
Icebreaker questions are one of those most functional ways that can help you build relationships with your teammates and ensure a friendly environment all time. As professionals spend their maximum time in office. So this place has to be super friendly, supportive, and collaborative between each and multiple teams. Every employee should correlate and connect with each other.
Eventually, a positive work environment can help you produce more productive, happy employees in the end. Team building icebreaker questions are helpful in that case. Those employees can instantly share their opinions, and connect with each other having their own thoughts.
For example, you are having a team meeting on some serious topics for a long time, and for a moment you take your time and mention some funny incidents related to work or the event that is happening. This can on the spot break the boredom of work, and make your team laugh together.
Afterward, if you again start with some new conversations, you can check the fruitfulness of your team. To make it more clear, take a look at below to know about some more benefits:
- Increase work excitement & make your team more refreshed and productive.
- Create a comfortable environment among your team members.
- Participants can easily think outside the box and introduce new ideas.
- Most helpful for new team members onboarding and on the starting give them the opportunity to talk and feel comfortable.
- Able to plot for new learning & skill improvement during ice-breaking sessions.
- Encourage team collaboration, communication and build up strong relationships.
- Instantly employees can interact and you can measure their enthusiastic participation.
- Spice up work energy and make the team relax from immense pressure.
- This can help make an average or blunt meeting something more productive.
Mentioned by Asana that “Nearly 50% of knowledge workers believe engaging and enjoyable work is the #1 factor in achieving their best work in 2021.”
Let’s Have A Look At The Types Of Team Building Icebreaker Questions
As you have already known what team building icebreaker questions can be and the importance of using them to make your team talk. Now you are enlightened by some types of icebreaker questions that are appreciable in a professional environment. Which will help raise work productivity and make you more engaging. Check out all the types of team building icebreaker questions you can implement to make your team talking:
Icebreaker Questions For Virtual Team
In the outsourcing or freelancer industry, remote work is acceptable and in the meantime popular. Employees or freelancers are connected from different parts of the world. During the time of team meetings or continuous collaboration, it has to be always participative, problem-solving-oriented, and exciting.
As no one knows each other except documents and video calls. That’s why team talking and knowing each other should be very important. Otherwise, the work track can lose. This is also true for this pandemic situation for 2020 when all organizations have to be remote and especially true for the IT industry.
And team building icebreaker questions are the ones you can use as one of the powerful weapons to make your team talk and provide a comfort zone. Some amazing virtual icebreaker questions to look at:
- Introduce the new onboarding employee and let them talk about themselves
- What do you feel about remote working? Is It effective?
- Do you have a dedicated office space or separate place at home?
- Do you have any “coworkers” (partners, roommates, siblings, parents, pets)?
- What’s your best Work From Home accessory?
- What food do you love to eat during your work?
- What’s your morning routine & let’s share it with the team?
- What you do like most except working at home?
- What is the hardest part of virtual work? And the easiest?
Like this, you can add several general questions to break the silence of your team through virtual meetings and make them participate instead.
HBR research says “In a virtual world, beginning meetings with an icebreaker is a first step to reintroducing small talk.”
General Team Building Icebreaker Questions
Newly joined, or the people you work with, sometimes during work pressure, it’s not possible to know about the personality you are working with. And it’s important to know who you are dealing with, their hobbies, and behind work passion in detail. Icebreaker questions are one of those that can instantly break the silence and make your team talk. But you have to know which type of questions are functional to know your team better.
- Who do you have in your family?
- Do you have any siblings?
- Are you the eldest, middle, or youngest child?
- Tell us about your home town
- Which school are you from?
- What were your favorite subjects in school?
- Where did you grow up?
- Do you have any pets?
- Do you love to play sports? Which One?
- Do you know multiple languages or just the native one?
- What was your first job? And if this is your first job how are you feeling?
- Do you love to travel? Where do you want to travel next?
- Where do you visit at home & abroad?
- Do you love watching movies? What are your favorite ones?
- What was your favorite cartoon character or comic book?
- Do you love to read books?
- Who are your favorite writers?
And a lot more to ask each and every day to know your teammates more during the general conversation, meetings, outings, and others.
Funny Questions To Break The Ice
When your team is going through lots of work pressure, a piece of funny conversation can make them immediately chill and be more productive at work. You can easily make a general work conversation to represent in a funny way, also make your team know the value. This type of silly joke-cracking, funny, casual conversation is always helpful.
- Who’s your idol or the most famous person you’ve ever met?
- What was your silliest fear & how do you overcome it?
- What is the most embarrassing moment of your life?
- What is your nickname?
- Tell us your most funny jokes?
- What’s the best Halloween costume you tried? Mention the worst one?
- What’s the last thing you got in “trouble” for?
- What would be the title of your autobiography if it was ever made?
- Mimics like your favorite cartoon or movie character?
Hypothetical Team Building Icebreaker Questions
Hypothetical team-building icebreaker questions are the ones that can help your team to brainstorm with fun. Those who can do it as fast, you can make that person win. So with enjoyment, you can include something and get a wise output as well.
- Just think you have got a superpower, what would be the first thing you want to do?
- If you become prime minister of your country, where do you want to make the first change?
- What is the most unwanted word from your dictionary that you want to delete?
- If you get the chance to be reborn, what do you want to be?
- If you ever have the option to live as your favorite character, which one you should pick & why?
- One powerful message that you want to spread all over the world, what would it be?
- Tell us the name of your favorite movie that you can watch your entire life & never get bored?
If you throw hypothetical icebreaker questions that can be funny but at the same time the other side of the person should have to think and answer. You can then analyze the way your employees think and participate to solve any issues. Mind positivity can be tested very easily with these types of questions.
Icebreaker Questions For Small Groups
For a large team, you can take any type of attempt and you have to organize a bit. But for a small group of organizations, you can easily communicate with your full team and make them active with amazing team building icebreaker questions. You can even play games with icebreaker questions and have fun.
- What do you want to be at an early age?
- Did you fill up your goals at the age you belong to?
- What was the last time you attempted to do something for the first time?
- What was the most beautiful surprise you have ever received?
- How do you want to spend your birthday
- Who is the closest person to your workplace?
- Do you admire someone in your workplace?
Tip: Some More Popular, Unique IcebreakerQuestions To Try
Rest of the types you have known, there are some popular, unique team building icebreaker questions out there to help you to the fullest. That can help you make your team more proactive, and enjoy every moment of working together.
- What’s the best piece of advice you have ever received & given?
- When you die, what do you want to be remembered for?
- What are the goals of your life, work, and other fundamentals? Define the purpose.
- Are you working for money or pleasure or both?
- Do you love your work life? Or do you want to make some changes?
- What is the most magical world that you want to live in & use the most?
- If you have to write an email to the owner of your organization with an emoji, what would it be?
- What is your morning resolution? Is it different each time or the same?
- Mention the best day of your life & tell us why?
And you can have a lot more using your own values and thoughts. These types of team building icebreaker questions are actually helpful to know each other well. You can know their thoughts, way of thinking, working, enthusiasm and more in detail.
Make Your Team Talking With The Best Icebreaker Questions
Besides these team building icebreaker questions to ask directly, you can arrange a fun session, in coffee chat, or through online games, you can have fun together. Hope you find this blog helpful and get a complete idea about the best icebreaker questions to make your team talk and let us know by commenting below.
Bonus Tip: 10 Critical Thinking Interview Questions That You Can Use